Tenets of Bushido
Honor: 8.9 (9.9) Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Infamy: 1.0
Skills: Athletics 1, Battle 2, Etiquette 1, Horsemanship 1, Hunting 1, Iaijutsu 3, Jiujutsu 1, Kenjutsu (Katana) 3, Kyujutsu 1, Lore: History 1, Lore: Maigo no Musha 3, Polearms 1, Sincerity 1
Advantages: Bishamon’s Blessing, Paragon: Honesty, Returned Spirit*, Sacred Weapon: Akodo Blade, Strength of the Earth
Disadvantages: Can’t Lie, Cursed by Maigo no Musha, Infamous, Jealousy: Father, Obligation
Spent Exp: 93
Unspent Exp: 12
Karma: 3 (Burned 2)
Possessions: Bisento, daisho, heavy armor, sturdy clothing, traveling pack, 5 koku.
1. What Clan does your character belong to?Matsu Kinnosuke belongs to the Lion Clan. He adheres to the philosophies of his ancestors and is strictly devoted to honor, the code of Bushido, and Akodo’s Leadership.
2. What family does your character belong to?Kinnosuke is from the Matsu family.
3. Is your character a bushi, shugenja, or courtier?Kinnosuke is a bushi trained in the Matsu Berserker school. He follows in the footsteps of his father, sister, and honored grandmother. His father was a sensei at Shiro Matsu and would not have allowed his children the thought of following another path.
4. How would others describe your character’s appearance?Kinnosuke is a young man unusually tall for his age at 5 foot 8 inches tall. He is 15 years old, though many mistake him for being older due to his height and stern demeanor. He dresses in unadorned brown clothing meant for practical living. His mother taught him to pay close attention to his appearance but the hard life of a Matsu soldier allows him little time to indulge in the finer aspects of grooming. He strives always to appear clean and civilized, yet often shows the signs of hard work and combat.
5. What is your character’s primary motivation?Kinnosuke’s father, Tomoyasu, was a notorious and renowned warrior and a cruel and demanding man to his children. Kinnosuke strives dutifully to live up to his father’s impossible standards but his filial devotion is undermined by a hatred and fear he cannot quite admit.
6. Who is the person your character trusts most in the world?Kinnosuke is closest to his mother, Matsu Yoshiko. She was born a priestess of the Asahina family and renowned for her beauty and tranquility. She was married to Tomoyasu in a political maneuver to cement the end of a blood feud between Tomoyasu and Kakita Bokuden. There was little love between Yoshiko and her husband, yet she accepted her duty as a samurai and never complained. Tomoyasu hated the marriage and despised his wife, seeing her as no fit mother for a Matsu, and he believed she would pass on her weakness to his children. She was the one person unintimidated by Tomoyasu, however, and sought to offer her children an understanding of the civilized side of a samurai’s soul.
7. What is your character’s greatest strength and weakness?Kinnosuke’s greatest strength is his multifaceted personality. Born of a Matsu and an Asahina, he has all the fierceness and fury of his father with the grace and harmony of his mother. Unfortunately, this dichotomy of upbringing also leads to his greatest weakness: an inner restlessness and shame he cannot define. While Yoshiko tried to teach her children about Compassion and Courtesy, her father sought to beat any semblance of their mother’s heritage from them. He spared his children none of the harshness of his training and Kinnosuke grew to hate his father. He seeks to prove himself worthy of his father’s legacy and yet wishes to be nothing like him.
8. What does your character think of Bushido?Bushido is Kinnosuke’s salvation. when he is overwhelmed by his inner conflict, it is to bushido that he turns in order to know what to do. Bushido is his life, his blood, and his rest. While he is a Matsu through and through, much of his mother’s Asahina teachings stuck with Kinnosuke, and more than one have been taken aback by his potential for compassion and courtesy.
9. What is your character’s opinion of his clan?Kinnosuke believes strongly in the sacred duty of the Lion Clan as the Emperor’s Right Hand. He believes this because he views it as a duty passed down from Akodo no Kami himself through his teachings in Leadership. He has a dutiful respect for his mother’s clan, and has a personal interest in the Dragon clan. As a child a Togashi visited Shiro Matsu and was the only person besides his mother Kinnosuke has ever met who seem unfazed by his father’s presence.
10. Is your character married?No.
11. Does your character have any prejudices?That death is something to be wished for at all times.
12. To whom does your character owe the most loyalty?Kinnosuke is most loyal to his mother, though since his father departed she has left Lion lands for her ancestral home to await her husband’s return and he has had little opportunity to see her. He feels strongly for her, though he dared not express such feelings when his father was around.
13. What are your character’s favorite and least favorite things?Kinnosuke has a Matsu’s eagerness for war, and is grimly eager to distinguish himself. He trains incessantly for the moment he can face his father as an equal, and prove Tomoyasu’s taunts and beatings false. He has few hobbies, though he has fondness for theater which he is embarrassed to admit to. He despises failure, and to fail brings back every memory of his father’s taunts and beatings and makes them real. He does not particularly enjoy knives, as he believes he has no particular talent with them.
14. Does your character have any recurring mannerisms?When he hesitates he tends to stretch his wrists or flex his fingers, as if readying himself to draw his blade.
15. What about your character’s emotions?Kinnosuke is fiery and passionate, but he seeks to filter these emotions through a mask of good behavior. His father was described as a starving beast wearing the face of a man, but Kinnosuke has replaced his father’s cold detachment with his mother’s grace. Rage and ferocity are saved for moments of action.
16. How would your character handle a subordinate’s improper behavior?Kinnosuke has little patience for improper behavior, but would attempt to ignore it the first time unless the behavior shamed his clan, lord, or mother. After that he would punish them in such a manner as to demonstrate whatever virtue of bushido they failed to exhibit.
17. How would your character’s parents describe him?Tomoyasu would describe Kinnosuke as having the potential for great strength because of his blood running in Kinnosuke’s veins, but ultimately doomed to failure because of his mother’s blood. Yoshiko is fiercely proud of Kinnosuke, seeing him as fine young samurai and who exhibits the best of both parents.
18. What is your character’s highest ambition?To die in service to the Lion. Should he survive, he would like to face his father, and force him to admit his strength.
19. How religious is your character?Kinnosuke is very religious. Having a priestess for a mother and growing up amongst the Lion virtually assured his piety in both the kami and his ancestors.
20. How will your character die?Kinnosuke wishes to die gloriously for his clan, but will likely die facing the enemies of his lord, or by his own hand. Kinnosuke will not sacrifice his honor for any reason, and will sooner offer his life than abide his failures.